Filed under Computers
This is David.
He told us he wanted a desktop with...
"a super-fast processor with lots of cores, lots of RAM, lots of hard drive space and looks cool"
...for under $3,500.
We told him...
"I like the look of the new Dell Studio XPS 435, so let's start there."
"I went to dell.com and configured it just how I wanted...
- 3.33GHz Intel Core i7-975 with 8 cores
- 12GB RAM
- 1.5TB Hard Drive
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 1024MB RAM
- Blu-ray Burner (reads/writes CD, DVD and Blu-ray)
...for a grand total of $3,054."
"Ok, let's see what Apple has. The Mac Pro looks nice."
"I configured an Apple Mac Pro with similar options...
- 2.93GHz Intel Xeon with 8 cores
- 12GB RAM
- 1.0TB Hard Drive
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB
- SuperDrive (read/writes CD and DVD)
...which adds up to a total of $6,549."
"The Dell Studio XPS 435 has all my qualifications. When compared to an Apple Mac Pro, the Dell has...
- A 13% faster chip (3.33GHz vs. 2.93GHz)
- 50% more hard drive space (1.5TB vs. 1.0TB)
- Twice as much graphics card memory (1024MB vs. 512MB)
- A Blu-ray reader/writer (Apple doesn't have an option for this)
...all for $3,495 less than the Apple Mac Pro."
"I'm going to buy the Dell Studio XPS 435."
"I got exactly what I wanted for *well* under $3,500."
"I'm a PC and my new system blows away the fastest Mac for half the price."
P.S. I am naming my new PC "Lauren."