Filed under Computers, Programming, Reviews, Software
I ran into an issue where I needed to look at a specific line number in a text file. Visual Studio lets you jump to a line number, but Notepad/Wordpad don't.
I could load Visual Studio and then jump to the line number...but I decided to look for a Notepad replacement...and I found a great one!
It's called Notepad++. It is *exactly* what I was looking for...a free editor that gives you all the functionality of Visual Studio in a text editor that loads very quickly.
Things that I like about Notepad++:
- Line numbers/go to line number
- Quick to load
- Ctrl-F3 Search (searches for the word under the cursor without opening a dialog box)
- Uses the same keyboard shortcuts that Visual Studio uses
- Regular Expression Searches
- Tabbed Document Interface
- Support for Windows, UNIX, and Mac line ending
- Macro recording/playback
- Plug-in Support
- Spell Check
- Alt-Left Mouse Button select (great for selecting a single column of text)
You can download Notepad++ (npp) here. I used npp.4.2.2.Installer.exe.