One of the first things I wanted to try out was Word's new blogging support.
What I like:
- Spell checking
- Easily create bulleted lists by starting a line with an asterisk (*)
- In the same fashion, create numbered bulleted lists by prefixing your lists with "1."
- Add pictures to a post by pasting them into Word…it will automatically convert them to .png and upload them to the server…a big time saver!
- Lots of nice picture formatting options
What I don't like:
- Word supports adding categories to a blog post, but for some reason they don't get transferred to my blog.
- Word supports tagging, but these tags are not included with the post.
- Images are resized in inches, not pixels. I know my blog works with pictures that are 320 pixels wide, I don't know what that is in inches.
- Does not have a way (that I could find) to link to the full size image automatically. I believe you have to manually upload the full size picture and then create a hyperlink to the full size picture. This is a deal breaker!
The poor support for image resizing and hyperlinking to full size pictures is enough for me to pass on Word 2007 as a blog editor for now. Hopefully Microsoft will address my concerns in a future release or service pack.