E3 is going on this week. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo made some big announcements concerning their next generation consoles. Even though I was a PlayStation guy (I had a PS1 and PS2), I decided to switch to the Microsoft camp and get an Xbox 360 because I thought they had a better game plan than Sony.
Here are some of the Xbox 360 announcements that I'm excited about:
- HD DVD player
- Wireless Steering Wheel with Force Feedback
- Xbox Live Vision Camera - For video conferencing and as an input device for games using "gestures"
- Wireless Headset
- Grand Theft Auto IV and download-able episodes
- Retro games for Xbox Live Arcade: Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Rally X, Defender, Paperboy, Root Beer Tapper, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Frogger, Contra, Super Contra, Track & Field, Time Pilot and Scramble. Portrait style games like Pac Man (as opposed to normal TV in landscape mode) don't fit on standard TV. To fit on the screen, either the game has to be redrawn at a lower resolution or it is zoomed in. If you want the closest reproduction of a retro game, these solutions are not acceptable. But since the Xbox 360 can do HD, this should no longer be a problem!
- Live Anywhere - Play online via Xbox 360, PC, PDA, or cell phone in this seamless network
- PC RF Receiver - use wireless Xbox controller, steering wheel, headset, etc. on your PC
- Halo 3 - I've never played Halo, but I've heard good things about it